Steps to Graduation
Steps to Graduation: Undergraduate Program
The checklist below will help you plan the activities each year in order to prepare you for graduation. Be sure to meet with the School of Art advisor, Alexandra Morrissette regularly to create a schedule that works best for you.
Office: Art + Architecture 212.
Schedule an advising appointment through Vol Academic Connect or call the advising office appointment line at 865-974-4483.
Meet with your academic advisor to discuss your academic goals and a career counselor to discuss career goals.
- Explore majors and careers at the Center for Career Development.
- Use “What Can I Do With This Major?” to learn about career opportunities. See what alumni do with their art degree.
- Become involved with campus activities, student organizations, leadership + service programs, and programs abroad.
- Participate in campus co-curricular activities.
- Strengthen your written communication in English classes and writing labs.
- Discover UT resources including the Student Success Center Academic Coaching, Student Counseling Center, college advising centers, and tutorial services.
Continue to meet with your academic advisor to discuss your academic goals and a career counselor to discuss career goals, and work on the following:
- Create an artist statement.
- Talk to professionals in career fields you are considering.
- Get to know faculty in your major area. They can talk about career options and provide a letter of reference for internships, jobs, or graduate school.
- Identify part-time or summer employment, internships, or volunteer work or internships in your area of intern. Attend a summer job and internship fair.
- Develop a resume and upload it to Handshake.
- Understand how to run and read your DARS report.
- Meet with your faculty mentor.
- Obtain work experience in your field through part-time employment, internship, practicum, field work, or volunteer experience.
- Determine your career goals.
- Host a gallery show.
- Meet with the art career consultant to discuss job search strategies.
- Critique and refine your resume, cover letter, and artist statement.
- Consider taking COUN 404 Career Strategies for Arts & Sciences.
- Build an artist portfolio/website.
- If interested in graduate school, begin school search and set deadlines.
- Consider electives classes in areas that will help refine your skills.
- Apply to graduate once you have completed 90-credit hours.
- In March of your senior year, RSVP to commencement (required for Spring graduates only).
- Meet with a Career Center counselor or go to a workshop.
- Update your resume or curriculum vitae.
- Prep workshops are held by the School of Art around September and March.
- Know required deadlines for job and graduate school applications.
- Fill out First Destination information for the School of Art.